Learning The Lingo Used In Compressed Air Systems
If you’re new to the world of air compressors one thing that you’ll have to learn very quickly is the language used.
Often, not comprehending the various online resources comes down to a lack of understanding of the wording used. This understanding of the unique vocabulary could be incredibly handy when picking your compressed air system or working with it.
Here is your crash course in ‘How To Speak Air Compressor’ that should cover enough of the basics to ensure you hold your own in conversation.
Frequently Used Words in Compressed Air Conversations
- Air compressor: mechanical device designed to increase the pressure of air or gas by reducing (compressing) its volume.
- Dryer: removes water that’s found in compressed air.
- Pressure amplifiers or boosters: used to increase or boost existing plant air pressures.
- Pressure Drop: term used to characterize the reduction in air pressure from the compressor discharge to the actual point-of-use.
- Pressure Dew Point: temperature at which air must be cooled for water vapor to begin to condense to liquid water.
- Filters: remove contaminants from compressed air once compression is complete.
- After-coolers: moisture-removing device used to remove the heat of compression of the air once compression has been completed.
- OSHA: Occupational Safety and Health Act, regulator of air quality and enforcers of legal rules dictating the methods that employers must follow to ensure worker protection.
- Contaminants: water, water vapor, oil, oil mist, dust and microorganisms that can enter compressed air and reduce air quality.
- Heat waste: excess heat that’s produced as a by-product of compressing air.
- Varnish: a broad term used to describe the by-products of lubricant degradation. The black, sticky substance is known to make compressors run hot and is often found in control valves.
Still Need A Translator?
If the basic terminology we’ve covered isn’t enough to make you consider yourself fluent in air compressor lingo then please feel free to reach out to us.
CDA System aims to completely satisfy your needs regarding all things air compressor. Call us today for more information. 925.667.3400 / firstname.lastname@example.org